Terrorists have the ‘means, knowledge and information’ to create a nuclear bomb, the head of the UN atomic watchdog has warned in the wake of the Brussels attacks. The warnings of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Yukiya Amano come just days before world leaders meet for an important summit against ‘nuclear terrorism’. ‘Terrorism is spreading and the possibility of using nuclear material cannot be excluded,’ Mr Amano told AFP. ‘Member states need to have sustained interest in strengthening nuclear security.
Daily Mail 26th March 2016 read more »
“Nuclear terrorism” has become an alarming possibility and countries are not doing enough to prevent it, the head of the UN atomic watchdog warned yesterday. In the wake of claims the Brussels attackers had planned to set off a radioactive ‘dirty bomb’, Yukiya Amano, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency said: “Terrorism is spreading and the possibility of using nuclear material cannot be excluded.
Telegraph 25th March 2016 read more »
The Brussels attacks suicide bombers were plotting to build a dirty bomb and target a nuclear power plant, it’s been claimed. Brothers Ibrahim and Khalid El Bakraoui, who were behind the deadly attacks at the airport and metro station, were reportedly planning a bomb to scatter radioactive material in a populated area. The terrorists had also planted a hidden camera in front of the home of a director at the Belgian nuclear power plant, according to reports.
Mirror 25th March 2016 read more »
Belgian authorities have stepped up security at nuclear sites but safety officials said there was no concrete element to suggest a specific threat against the country’s reactors or plants. Four access passes authorising people to enter Belgian nuclear sites were revoked from workers with access to the Tihange nuclear power station in Huy last week. But this was before the 22 March attacks on Brussels airport and metro, and was part of a routine and ongoing monitoring of staff, not linked to the terrorist threat, the agency said. After Tuesday’s attacks, the nation was put on high alert. All non-essential staff were sent home from nuclear plants at Tihange and Doel and military presence was increased at the sites. Earlier this month, the government had deployed 140 soldiers to guard nuclear sites.
Guardian 25th March 2016 read more »
The entry badges of some workers at Belgium’s nuclear sites have been withdrawn amid reports the suicide bombers who attacked Brussels may have originally planned to target a nuclear power plant.
LBC 25th March 2016 read more »
The terror attacks in Brussels are raising new questions about the security of nuclear plants.
CBS 25th March 2016 read more »