THE first flight believed to be carrying British nuclear waste to America took off from Wick Airport amid tight security yesterday. Scots politicians and anti-nuclear campaigners have slammed the deal, brokered by David Cameron and Barack Obama, to move the waste. The airport was closed from early morning as armed police patrolled the perimeter. Twenty miles away in Thurso, more armed officers escorted a lorry from the Dounreay nuclear plant through the town. It was carrying two heavily reinforced containers. The plan to transport highly enriched uranium from Dounreay to the US emerged late last year. Other types of uranium will be sent to Europe in exchange and used to make medical isotopes. But Dr Richard Dixon, director of Friends of the Earth, said: “There is no truly safe way to move this waste.” Caithness MP Paul Monaghan said the deal was “morally reprehensible” and Green MP John Finnie said people would be stunned that nuclear waste was being transported by plane. Nuclear expert John Large said: “The risk in transport by air is the fuel being engulfed in fire, the packages breaking down and the fuel igniting.” The runways at Wick have been extended at a cost of £18million to take the US planes, and Highland Council have published an order allowing local roads to be closed for five hours at a time until March 2018. Police refused to comment on yesterday’s operation for security reasons. The first flight believed to
Daily Record 18th Sept 2016 read more »
Concerns have been raised after the first flight carrying nuclear fuels took off from the Highlands at the weekend headed for the US. An American military aircraft believed to be transporting the enriched uranium from the Dounreay power station left Wick-John O’Groats Airport on Saturday. Dozens of armed police were on guard as the containers were loaded onto the aircraft, while the main road to the airport was closed to the public.
Press & Journal 19th Sept 2016 read more »