Celebrations are taking place at our Harwell site this festive season as the former research centre, birthplace of the UK nuclear industry, reaches the grand old age of 70. In 1946, just as Britain was recovering from the end of the World War 2, pioneering scientists at Harwell introduced the UK to civil nuclear power – including development of western Europe’s first nuclear reactor. Based on a former RAF airfield, Harwell was initially taken over by the Ministry of Supply to become the Atomic Energy Research Establishment. This then became the UK’s centre for research into civil nuclear power with a wide range of experimental facilities. In total, 14 experimental reactors were built on the site, including the UK’s first fast reactor.
Wired Gov 27th Dec 2016 read more »